Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sand & Surf

Quilt #15

front

This a journal page was made on September 13, 2006. I'm glad I'm doing this documenting. I had forgotten about this technique and now I would like to try it again.

I found the idea in a book or magazine some time prior to making this and unfortunately can't give credit to whoever came up with this idea. I did what I remembered from the article.

The idea is to cut a sliver from a magazine page and use it as inspiration for the quilting design.  You can click on pictures for close-ups.

Cut sliver and stick on paper 


I experimented on paper first.  The little girl's neckline and elbow became wavy designs, balloon and pail - circles, bottle top - squares, etc.

design on paper 

I made the quilt sandwich using an over dyed fabric – this was large floral print that I did not like. And then the dye came out as a dirty pink. Still didn't like the fabric any better......I used the right side of the fabric for the front and the wrong  side of the fabric on the back of the quilt.

I added some organza ribbon, wrapping one piece of it around one corner, covered with a white shiny tulle.

front

I marked where a few of the designs started and ended and quilted using Sulky variegated rayon on top and a purple viscose on the back and a variety of stitches.

back
Conclusions:
The quilting was fun to do, once figured out on paper you just had to copy the design.
I really like the back much better than the front, the fabric also looks much better when quilted.
Don't like the looks of the tulle, maybe another tulle would have worked better, or not.

This was a fun experiment.  You should try it, let me know if you do.

Have a great day,

Terry

No comments: