Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cherry Tomatoes

Quilt #20
Cherry Tomatoes

Here's a little quilt, 10” x 15½”, that was an experiment in painting on fabric.

I traced the pattern from Flowers and Fruit Stained Glass Pattern Book by Carol Krez on white fabric.

I made a quilt sandwich and I stitched over the traced lines using black thread and a free motion darning foot.

For the tomatoes,leaves and stalks, I used Staedtler Watercolor Crayons. Just apply dry crayon and stroke with a moistened brush to get a watercolour wash effect. Shading and other effects can be achieved by apply one colour over another.

I then decided to try Procion H Liquid dye for the background.

Detail 

I quilted the background to practice my version of McTavishing.

I am fairly happy with the results, except for the blue dye leaking through to the back around some of the tomato design.  It was difficult getting the dye right to the edge of the design. 
Back - dark spots where dye leaked through

The pink colour on the right hand was already on the back fabric, which was a piece of my own hand dyed.

The edges were finished with a few layers of novelty wool.

back detail 

Sometimes instead of making a label I just write (or stitch) right on the quilt.

This time I wrote my name and year on the stem on the front and the title on the back.


Have a great day,


Terry

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your process.