Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Red Placemats & March's Free Motion Challenge with Ann Fahl






 
These two pictures are from my March's Free Motion practice piece for the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge.



I have been free motion quilting for a long time and it never occurred to me to combine the Loopy loop and stippling, which Ann calls Loop and Twist. I was having so much fun adding Ann's suggested designs to the Loop and Twist and then several of my own, it was hard to stop.

I used a wool batting and YLI Variations multi coloured variegated thread on my sample. I love how the colours of the thread show up on my hand dyed which is mostly pink and blue fabric.

Quilt #80

Red Placemats

Continuing with my plan of finishing one of my UFOs using the month's challenge, I picked these red placemats to quilt.

Six red placemats


These were cut from a large quilt top I had made and really did not like A LOT.

Big ugly quilt!

See what I mean!

I cut it all up to make several sets of placemats. I have completed a set of 4 and a set of 8 using the pieces on the front and the back.

Cut up for placemats


This set of six is the last and I used a fun chinese food fabric for the back. 


back
The back fabric was wrapped around to the front and stitched down using a programmed decorative stitch on my machine.


front
 I used Thermolam and red YLI Variations 2 ply Trilobol polyester.



detail of quilting

I really enjoyed quilting these doodles.  Easy, flowing, and relaxing. 
Thank you, Ann.






1 comment:

Kathy S. said...

Love love love the kites and ties! It goes great with your fabics.