Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Out on a Limb

Quilt # 99


Out on a Limb

This is another UFO that has finally come off the shelf after probably close to 20 years of sitting there.

I try to finish a UFO using the technique learned in the Free Motion Quilting Challenge.  This was started in June using Cindy Needham's technique.  Running a little behind.  Click here for that post .

This pattern is from Elly Sienkiewicz's book Applique 12 Easy Ways and I made this quilt in order to learn hand applique which turned out not being my thing at all. A lot of it ended up being machine appliqued which was OK 'cause I needed to learn how to do that as well.

I thought that this quilt would work for Cindy Needham's technique of divide and conquer and since there were already a lot of curves I was inspired by Melanie Testa to go for squares (rather than Cindy's random shapes). Melanie Testa's book is titled “Inspired to Quilt”.

I outline quilted around all the appliqued designs and the border.
I measured and drew my squares in with a water soluble marker and stitched on the lines.



This is what the back looked like:




I sketched the designs on paper 

sketch


and started the stiching in the centre square and worked my way outwards.



The following are close-ups of the quilting designs in the four corners:












I programmed my machine with the quilt info and stitched it on the sleeve.  Here is part of it.

label on sleeve
And this is the back quilted, sleeve on and bound.

Out on a Limb - back



I'm really enjoying trying out all of these new techniques and designs and getting quite a few UFO completed while having fun doing it.  Thanks to SewCalGal for this challenge and Cindy Needham in particular for this one.


DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: Out on a Limb
Description: Hearts, Leaves and Birds on branches
Pattern: from Elly Sienkiewicz's book Applique 12 Easy Ways
Size: 30½” x 31”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: Red, blue and off white
Construction Techniques: Hand and machine appliqued
Back: 100% cotton
Batting: wool
Edge finish: Single fold ¼” binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: yes (on sleeve)
Date completed: 2012
Inspiration: Elly Sienkiewicz's book Applique 12 Easy Ways – quilting inspired by Cindy Needham and Melanie Testa
Quilt History: 20 years old unquilted UFO
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: