Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ocean Waves


Quilt Documentation # 120

Ocean Waves
Just a little quilt that I made to experiment with Kim Thittichai's techniques as shown in her book Hot Textiles – Inspiration and Techniques with Heat Tools.

The techniques I used were:
Painting fusible web and applying it to my background fabric (orange and blue).
Melted plastic shopping bags sandwiched with parchment paper and ironed until some melting occurred (grey near the botton edge).
Applied foil to the fusible web using the edge of the iron.'
Used puff paint to create the foam in the waves.

Ocean Waves - detail
I added some borders and quilted using metallic thread. It measures 13” w. X 11” h.

An orphan block that I added triangles and an edge strip to, became the the back of the quilt. I'm not sure when this was made as I had not signed or dated this quilt. I have now signed it. A good reminder to at least add your name and year even you don't have to make a label.

back

This was a lots of fun to make

Terry.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Every time I look at your quilts I'm awestruck by their beauty. I nominated your blog for the Liebster award. Details are on my blog here:
http://tammyscraftemporium.blogspot.ca/2013/02/liebster-award-from-kelly.html

Dar said...

Very interesting techniques used in your Ocean Waves. I also especially like the idea of using an orphan block as a new quilt back on your quilt. I could do this with lots of my orphan blocks if only I made small sized quilts. Maybe I will put them all together, say 40 or 50 orphans, and do the same for a larger one.
You are so creative.