Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quilting Books Organization


How is your quilting library organized?


Mine did not LOOK so bad but I could never find a book easily because I would just shoved books anywhere on the shelf.

So, on Tuesday, after spending a whole lot of time looking for a specific article but did remember which book it was in, I decided it was time to do something about it.



I pulled every single book off the shelf and sorted by subjects.

These were my categories:
Piecing Surface Design Free motion quilting Applique
Thread play Quilt Design Dyeing and Painting Patterns
Hand Embroidery Garments Miscellaneous



Back on the shelves.



So now books on specific subjects are all together and not all mixed together.

Looks about the same, but if I put books back in their section, I should be off to the races.


Here is the rest of the shelving unit.  Could use some help, too!  Not so neat looking but functional for me.



SPRING FEVER?  NOT!!!!

Just in case you think I'm getting spring fever, think again.

Either we're in the deep freeze or getting dumped on this winter.  We'll appreciate spring when it gets here!

Here's looking out my kitchen window.

Terry

Looking south over the lake.

Little feathered friends.



13 comments:

Susan J Barker said...

you have wonderful shelving space there! I have been cutting back, drastically... Love the birds out the window, watching the little tweeters is always facinating...

Kate said...

Love the birds in your yard. They look delightful.

Sam said...

I think Spring may be coming, I'm getting antsy with my organization too. The snow is bound to melt eventually.

Jo said...

Wow, that is organized, I like the shelving. I don't have that many books so I just shove mine in anyhow :)

Sue Andrus said...

I love the shelves, and wish my "not so neat looking" looked that good!

Margarita Korioth said...

You gave me an idea how to organize my books and not spend hours where to find them.

Sylvia said...

It is always nice to sort through the book collection! I did that recently when I switched positions of my cutting table with my bookcase.

Love the view outside your window!

Dresden Quilter said...

What a great way to organize! I love the birds.

Lisa Chin said...

Your feathered friends are so adorable! Great job on organizing the books! Sometimes functional is much better than pretty!

Unknown said...

Love the birds and the Cessna! I grew up with both....I also organized my books in the same way several years ago...makes far more sense.

Regina said...

I admire your order, whenever I try to do that I get thrown off course when I have to decide where to put multi-technique books ..........

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

THAT was a very wonderful post! ; ) I snooped though some of your work here - very beautiful things! And thank you so much for linking up to TN&TN. Would you like to be featured next Friday? I have a simple list of Q&A, and instructions to send 3 photos. It's not as intimidating as you might think, but it is very exciting! Please let me know. Monika Kinner-Whalen, email to: mysweetprairie at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

It looks like a quilt to me - all arranged inside the boxes just like sashing.... oh so colorful! I organized my stash this week.... amazing how much room can be saved with just a little bit of organization!