Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Take a Stitch Tuesday


Weeks 1 to 4

TAST - Weeks 1 to 4

My grandmother, Memere Charleboix,  taught me to embroider when I was seven or eight. I still have that very first piece. It was my very first stitching project.

I've always loved embroidery and have used it often, but am not real familiar with many stitches, either by name or how to do them.

Taking a class with Sue Spargo this winter and learning a lot of her favourite stitches has really made me want to learn more.

In the past, I had often checked sharon b's blog, In A Minute Ago,  whenever I needed help with a specific stitch. Her blog is now called Pin Tangle 

In January, 2012, Sharon started TAST – Take a Stitch Tuesday  – where she posts a hand embroidery stitch to add to the list. She is now at Stitch 64 but you can join in at any time. You then link back to her site by leaving your web address in a comment of her latest TAST post.

I will attempt to do some embroidery every week and hopefully at some point get caught up.

I have a big stack of upholstery samples, so I'm going to use that for this project. I cut the samples into 8” x 8” and washed them to soften them up a bit.

I will use the stitch of the day to make a 4 “ frame and then use mostly that stitch in the frame. Learning how to use one stitch in different situations is the object of the game.
I can add other stitches if I need to.
I can the frame slightly bigger depending on the stitch.
They're my rules, I can break them if I want to.

So here we go!

Week 1 – Fly Stitch

Other stitches: French Knot

Fly Stitch


Week 2 – Buttonhole Stitch

Buttonhole Stitch


Week 3 – Feather Stitch

Other stitches:  French knots

Feather Stitch


Week 4 – Cretan Stitch

I borrowed Luiz Vaz's moon, his is much nicer than mine.  Have a look at his wonderful stitches here.

Other stitches: Fly Stitch (water) and Stem Stitch (under the trees)

Cretan Stitch

I will link up to TAST at Pin Tangle. Check out all the beautiful work going on there.
Also linking to The Needle and Thread WIP Wednesday, have a look at what other Canadians bloggers are up to.


Happy Stitching,

Terry






9 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

You have made smart 'rules' for your TAST project and if you complete all the stitches you will end up with a most impressive piece.
Your four starting blocks are nicely done. Keep up the good work.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, these are beautiful!

Annet said...

This is a great start to learn new stitches. I like the last sampler with the images mirrored in the water.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

such pretty pieces

Claudia said...

Beautiful works! Keep on going, looking forward to see more!

Juanita said...

My grandmother and mother taught me the basics of embroidery too. They called it 'fancy work'. Now I use embroidery but don't know a lot of stitches. You motivate me to learn more. I think I need to join TAST. Lovely stitch work!!

Lins Artyblobs said...

Nice samples!

Anonymous said...

Love them! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Very nice samples. Look forward to seeing more.