Sunday, May 26, 2013

President's Houses III


Quilt Documentation # 141

This is the third in a series of four quilts made from blocks received from members of the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild when I retired as president of the guild in 2000.

President's Houses III




President's Houses III is made up of nine 12” x 12” blocks. These blocks were mostly orignial designs, a friend made the one of my old greenhouse that looked like a little barn, another of her own house where a few of us were invited for a fun week-end to attend a quilt show after she moved to another town. Great memories.

close-up of blocks

This quilt had me stumped for a while and took a few years to complete. I added my pieced lattice between and all around the blocks.

close-up of blocks

I didn't like what that looked like until I decide to cut off half of the lattice on the outside edges and add a muslin border.

close-up of blocks

close-up of block

More stalling on the outer border until I bought Valerie Wells” book Radiant New York Beauties. In this book she shows how to draft a freestyle block. Using those instructions, I designed my free-style border.

paper-pieced border

I'm not a big fan of paper-piecing but sometimes it is the prefect technique to use as it was in this case.

wobbly echo quilting

After quilting each block, the muslin background was echo quilted with wobbly lines using a variegated thread.

President's Houses III - back

The back of the quilt is bleached muslin as is the double fold bias binding.

Happy quilting,

Terry



DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: President's Houses III
Description: House Sampler
Pattern: Original
Size: 58” x 58”
Fabrics: 100% cotton - muslin
Predominant colours: Multi colours
Construction Techniques: 12 “House” blocks , lattice, paper-pieced border, curved edges
Back: Hand dyed muslin
Batting: Polyester
Edge finish: Double fold fbias binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label:
Date completed:2004
Inspiration: Blocks received from members when retiring as president of guild
Quilt History: Display at the 2005 Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters' Guild Show, at Museum of Northern History
Maker: Terry Whyte

1 comment:

Lori S said...

I just love the border and sashing. It adds the right amount if interest without taking away from the houses.