Friday, February 14, 2014

Birds of a Feather.....


Quilt Documentation # 157

Birds of a Feather....
This was a project I started in a class with Pat Blair in 2012. It is ink painted using her technique and Tsukineko inks. I decided to finish it as the project for my Art Prompt #4 challenge which was to use any kind of ink.  I blogged about it here and here.

I have added borders, free motion quilted it and finished it with a facing and a sleeve. Still needs a label.

I also gave it the name “Birds of a Feather” as I have no idea what kind of birds they are, but there sure was a lot of them on the boardwalk in Halifax when I took this picture.

photo
Here are a couple of close-up.





I experimented with using a white bobbin thread on the white cotton back thinking that it would save me changing the bobbins every time I changed colours. It would have been a lot easier to fill and change the bobbins as I had to be very careful with the tension to make sure I didn't get white on the top or dark on the back. In hind sight, I should have thread painted the birds and the rocks prior to sandwiching and quilting.

back of Birds of a Feather... - facing and sleeve.
Happy Quilting,

Terry

DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: Birds of a Feather....
Description: Ink painted wholecloth
Pattern: From own photograph
Size: 20” x 25 ½”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: Blue and brown
Construction Techniques: Painted with Tsukineko inks using Pat Blair technique
Back: white cotton
Batting: wook
Edge finish: Facing
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label:
Date completed: 2014
Maker: Terry Whyte



3 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

This is a winner. It's a great interpretation of the picture and your quilting is masterful!

LA Paylor said...

oh it's touching. Awesome, really
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

Wonderful piece, Terry. I am particularly intrigued by how densely you quilted the sky; I've not been that brave! Will have to do some sampling in that direction now. :-)