Saturday, March 22, 2014

ART PROMPT - #7 - Week 1 – Use glue


This week, I started a new project using glue. I have been wanting to try using hot glue on fabric and then dyeing over top to see what would happen when the glue was removed.

I chose a piece of white cotton approximately 24”x 24” (a little ambitious, I'm thinking......now!), and Procion H Liquid Dyes.

I thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and dye some threads at the same time.

I taped down a piece of cheaper white cotton thinking I might get a second piece of dyed fabric but that didn't work! I swirled some crocheting thread (for embroidery) and a cord that I want to use for bookbinding on top of that.

first layer and thread and cord
I then taped down my “good” white cotton on top of everything, added the hot glue with a cranky glue gun and painted on the dye. Frog tape (a painter's tape) is great for wet projects.

glue on second layer 
I was hoping the swirling of the threads would show through. It showed on the back but only a little came through to the top.
thread and cord on back
top dyed with Procion H

This is what it looked like when dry.

dry & glue removed 
And the mess of dried glue.

glue

I have used Elmer's blue school glue on Life is Good here and actually got some pretty good results with less work.

I don't know what made me use both white and ecru crochet cotton but I'm glad I did. Look at the difference, the ecru really took the dye well.  
dyed thread and cord 
I started quilting and am not happy with what I have, I especially don't like my thread choice for the swirls.  Also not yet sure what to do with the border.

quilting in progress
 Tune in next week and see if I end up liking it better.  
detail



See you next week,

Terry

NEXT ART PROMPT - #7 – Use glue

HERE'S MY PLAN

One prompt, one project (taking as long as required to finish the project)

It's OK to finish a previously started project (UFO)

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project every Friday.

Pick a prompt for the next week once the project is done.





No comments: