Sunday, March 8, 2015

ART PROMPT - #19 – Add wood

Red Oak Mini Journals

My prompt this time was to add wood to a project.

I chose to make 4 little journals and make the covers from red oak which my husband cut and planed for me. I drilled the holes for the binding that I wanted to make, all different.   I also gave both sides of the covers two coats of varnish.

4 little Journals

Red Oak covers - coptic bindings



showing covers and bindings - lays completely flat

For the pages I recycled all kinds of paper, cutting each piece 8” x 6” and folding in half to make my 4” x 6” pages. I made 8 signatures of 8 pages for each book.

Each book has 128 pages.


Pages from a Japanese poem book and textured tissue paper

The binding is called a “coptic binding” and is ideal for pages that lay flat, making easy for drawing, painting or writing.

Here are some of the different papers I used.

Acrylic painted and stamped used greeting cards

Textured tissue paper and map


 own photo on copy paper and inked shiny paper


sketching and watercolour paper


map from an atlas

These kind of book are also called Junk Journals because of the recycled paper used.
I'd rather call mine Art Journals.

Linking to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday

See you next time,

Terry


NEXT PROMPT 

ART PROMPT - #20 – Add buttons


HERE'S MY “ART PROMPT” PLAN

One prompt, one project (taking as long as required to finish the project)

It's OK to finish or use a previously started project (UFO) as a starting point.

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project.

Pick another prompt once the project is done.




1 comment:

quiltedfabricart said...

again you have wowed me with your creativity - i love these and I kinda like the name upcycled art journal.
can't wait to see what you do with buttons - I have a good stash waiting to be used